Two individuals take a selfie with Temple University’s mascot Hooter on the main campus. Photography by Joseph V. Labolito
Temple University secured the No. 89 position in the latest edition of “Best Colleges” of national universities rankings by U.S. News and World Report, a significant improvement from its No. 121 ranking last year. This accomplishment represents the highest ranking ever achieved by Temple and marks the first time the university has been recognized as a top 100 institution in the United States.
Temple University is a top-tier, globally ranked public research university that maintains a multi-campus system extending from Pennsylvania (USA) to Rome to Japan. Established in 1982, the Japan campus of Temple University (TUJ) is the oldest and largest branch campus of a foreign university in Japan. TUJ was the first university to be officially designated a Foreign University, Japan Campus by Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology in 2005. TUJ is an integrated part of its main campus in Philadelphia and TUJ students receive Temple credits and degrees directly from the main campus.
U.S. News, which has published its annual “Best Colleges” rankings since 1983, revised its methodology this year. As part of the changes, U.S. News notes that it has placed greater weight on outcome measures of quality, such as graduation rates, graduation rate performance and social mobility; deemphasized admissions data; and dropped measures such as acceptance rates and alumni giving rates. The rankings also included new metrics focused on faculty scholarship, where Temple performed strongly.
U.S. News’ rankings, released on September 18, showed that Temple was ranked at No. 89 out of 439 national universities. Furthermore, the publication placed Temple No. 45 in the Top Public Schools category, No. 70 in the Best Value category and No. 58 in the Best Colleges for Veterans category.
For the link for the text of the story issued by the main campus of Temple University on September 18 see: Temple makes big move in US News “Best Colleges“ ranking following revisions to methodology
Temple University’s rankings in U.S. News & World Report were as follows (as of September 18, 2023)
- 2024 National Universities: #89
- 2024 Top Public Schools: #45
- 2024 Top Best Value Schools: #70
- 2024 Best Colleges for Veterans: #58
- 2023-2024 Best Education Schools: #46
- 2023-2024 Best Law Schools: #54
- 2023-2024 Best Law Schools/Trial Advocacy: #2
- 2023-2024 Best Law Schools/International Law: #10
For further details on rankings see: U.S. News & World Report – Best Colleges -Temple University
Other related stories
- Former Temple University Japan Deans Collaborate on Book Unveiling Four Decade of TUJ’s Historical Journey (July 31, 2023)
- Temple University’s Education and Law Graduate School Programs Climb Ranks in Annual U.S. News & World Report Survey (June 5, 2023)
- Temple University Main Campus in Philadelphia Host Event to Celebrate 40th Anniversary of Japan Campus (March 27, 2023)