June 7, 2011

Temple University, Japan Campus (TUJ) is proud to announce a new four-year, full scholarship program supported by Goldman Sachs Gives, a donor-advised fund.*

The Goldman Sachs Mochida Scholars Fund, named after Mr. Masanori Mochida, President of Goldman Sachs Japan Co., Ltd. who recommended the gift to Goldman Sachs Gives, will support academically successful but financially challenged Japanese students.

Eligible applicants include those who wish to enroll during the two academic years starting from the Fall 2011 semester through Summer 2013. Applicants must satisfy all admission qualifications, including academic performance and English proficiency. Once admitted, each recipient will receive scholarships equivalent to four years’ tuition for up to 126 credits, depending on the major. Each scholarship is worth about 5.7 million yen in total. Approximately 80% of the amount will be funded by Goldman Sachs Gives and the remaining 20% by TUJ. The expected number of scholarship recipients for the first academic year is five.

Commenting on the launch of the new scholarship, TUJ Dean Bruce Stronach said:

TUJ is proud to have been chosen as the recipient of the Goldman Sachs Mochida Scholars Fund, one more program in a long tradition of philanthropy by Goldman Sachs and its employees. The Fund will give underprivileged Japanese students an opportunity to receive an American university liberal arts education here in Japan, which they would otherwise not have had. Learning critical thinking skills and communication skills will prepare them for the global workplace while simultaneously creating good citizens for Japan. The gift also highlights the power of good corporate-university relations.”

Note: Goldman Sachs Gives is a donor-advised fund—a public charity that maintains individual accounts for donors who recommend grants to qualified non-profit organizations from their accounts. Established in 2007, Goldman Sachs Gives enables Goldman Sachs and its people to leverage their donations to charities in the communities where they live and work, or elsewhere around the globe. The focus of this organization is on those areas that have been proven to be fundamental to creating jobs and economic growth, building and stabilizing communities, honoring service and veterans and increasing educational opportunities.